Current:Home > reviewsRekubit Exchange:Two 18-year-olds charged with murder of former ‘General Hospital’ actor Johnny Wactor -MoneyStream
Rekubit Exchange:Two 18-year-olds charged with murder of former ‘General Hospital’ actor Johnny Wactor
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 03:31:58
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Two 18-year-old men have Rekubit Exchangebeen charged with murder in the killing of former “General Hospital” actor Johnny Wactor.
Robert Barceleau and Sergio Estrada were each charged Monday in Los Angeles County Superior Court, District Attorney George Gasón said at a news conference.
“The loss of this talented young actor, who was in the prime of his life and had so much to offer the world, is deeply felt by all of us,” Gascón said.
The men and two co-defendants, all of whom were arrested Thursday, were set to be arraigned on Monday afternoon. It is not clear whether any have yet retained lawyers. An email to the county public defender’s office seeking comment on the case was not immediately answered.
Wactor was shot and killed when he interrupted three thieves stealing the catalytic converter from his car on May 25. Police said the 37-year-old had left work at a downtown LA rooftop bar with a coworker when he saw three men who had hoisted his car. Police said one of them fired at him without provocation and killed him.
Barceleau and Estrada were also both charged with grand theft and attempted robbery.
Barceleau’s charges include special circumstances, including murder during an attempted robbery and personal use of a firearm, that after a conviction could lead to a life sentence without possibility of parole. Estrada’s charges have a maximum sentence of life in prison.
A third man who authorities allege were with them, Leonel Gutierrez, was charged with grand theft and attempted robbery. A fourth, Frank Olano, was charged with being an accessory after the fact.
Wactor’s death has become a rallying point for some in the city pushing for a more hardline approach to fighting crime.
A group consisting of family and friends calling itself “Justice for Johnny” held a rally last week calling for more urgency in the investigation, and another Monday morning calling for aggressive prosecution.
Police and public officials said that is exactly what is happening.
LAPD Interim Chief Dominic Choi said at Monday’s news conference that the investigation has been an “ongoing and relentless pursuit” in a “very difficult case.”
Mayor Karen Bass said in a statement that “We must continue to take aggressive action to make our city safer.”
Barceleau was being held without bail, and Estrada on just over $1 million bail.
veryGood! (6658)
Related
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Police announce second death in mass shooting at upstate New York park
- USA's Katie Grimes, Emma Weyant win Olympic swimming silver, bronze medals in 400 IM
- Iowa now bans most abortions after about 6 weeks, before many women know they’re pregnant
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Get 80% Off Wayfair, 2 Kylie Cosmetics Lipsticks for $22, 75% Off Lands' End & Today's Best Deals
- Who Are The Nelons? What to Know About the Gospel Group Struck by Tragedy
- Want to earn extra money through a side hustle? Here's why 1 in 3 Americans do it.
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Bachelor Nation’s Victoria Fuller Dating NFL Star Will Levis After Greg Grippo Breakup
Ranking
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Showbiz Grand Slam
- 'A phoenix from the ashes': How the landmark tree is faring a year after Maui wildfire
- Fresh quakes damage West Texas area with long history of tremors caused by oil and gas industry
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Lady Gaga introduces Michael Polansky as her 'fiancé' during Paris Olympics
- Gospel group the Nelons being flown by Georgia state official in fatal Wyoming crash
- Simone Biles to compete on all four events at Olympic team finals despite calf injury
Recommendation
Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
When the science crumbles, Texas law says a conviction could, too. That rarely happens.
Can your blood type explain why mosquitoes bite you more than others? Experts weigh in.
Canada appeals Olympic women's soccer spying penalty, decision expected Wednesday
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
A group of 2,000 migrants advance through southern Mexico in hopes of reaching the US
Does Patrick Mahomes feel underpaid after QB megadeals? 'Not necessarily' – and here's why
Park Fire is the largest of more than 100 fires currently ablaze across US